Sunday, June 19, 2011

Promises, Promises..

I promise, again, that I will keep this blog up-to-date and post regularly from now on.  That's a super-extra extreme promise.  However, I intend to go a different route with the blog here on out.  I don't want to write about boring everyday things that my kids do.  I don't want to bore you, after all.  I'm going to write about the funny stuff, the ironic stuff, the crappy stuff.  And I'm going to focus on New Baby Life (it's a legitimate time period, like Toddler and Middle-Age).  Just a heads-up for anyone not truly familiar with me, I am Sarcastic (yes, the capital is necessary).  So anything that comes across as harsh, cruel, abusive, out-of-line, or insensitive, just chalk (chock?) it up to my witty sarcasm.

Just a brief tidbit for now, since I'm trembling on the edge of sanity listening for any sound of malcontent that little Luke might utter.  Speaking of which, is there anything like a new baby that makes you "hush" at people  maniacly?  Even though this bundle of joy sleeps through Fred Flinstone snoring from Jonathan and stadium-quality sound projection from Meike, I am frantically "Shhh"-ing at sounds like dishes clinking together and toilet flushing.  Yes, my 5-week old's happiness does come before my cats' rights to drink out of a clean toilet, regardless of how they feel about it.

Back to the main story, I realized today that I am much more self consious now than I ever was before.  Aren't you supposed to become more confident with age?  I never used to look at other women and compare myself to them.  But I caught myself doing just that several times today.  We went out for a Father's Day dinner at a new restaurant called "Look at my Boobs."  Just kidding, I forget what it was called (I'll remember later, ramdomly, when it's no longer relevant); it was akin to Hooters, but with a classier decour and awesome food.  I'm not saying Hooters doesn't have good food- everyone talks about the wings, right? 

As I noticed Jonathan's wandering eyes, I began to take notice of the girls walking around.  Then I began to systematically take down each waitress (in my head at least).  Some of the following thoughts ran through my head:

"Yeah she has nice legs, but my boobs are totally bigger than hers." 
"My hair is so much nicer than hers; what a trashy color."
"I've had two kids and I'm not that jiggly."

Regardless of the validity of my comparisons, I felt it necessary to one-up every girl that passed.  I never used to care about guys checking out other chicks.  Studies show that even babies prefer to look at attractive people.  And I've always been very confident.  If I'm going to waste my energy on being jealous, I should be comparing more useful things, like who gets more sleep and who gets thrown up on the least.
Is this just some postpartum craziness?  Will it go away in a few weeks when I feel less squishy (if I ever feel less squishy)?  Do any of you other new moms find yourself succumbing to any random insecurities?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe part of it is that, for the first time, you actually want to hang onto this love? Maybe you know feel that you truly have something to lose. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete