Monday, November 7, 2011

Anger Management

Luke seems to have made me into an angry person.  I don't remember being this angry when Meike was a baby.  My anger is very specific...it's targeted at NOISE, because it routinely wakes the baby up.  Seriously, any noise.  It's become so ingrained that I even get mad at sounds when Luke is in a separate building.  Obviously, this is some sort of sleep-deprivation-induced new-mom-hormone madness (that's basically my excuse for everything weird that I do).

Here are some of the more recent sounds that have made me instantly irate:


  • The dog walking on the hardwood floor.  I cannot cut those nails short enough (Luke's either, come to think of it).
  • Cat food pouring into their dishes.  It's like an avalanche.
  • Car doors being closed when the baby is asleep inside.  I have taken to closing the door as quietly as possible and then leaning on it with my butt until it catches.
  • Jonathan emptying the dishwasher downstairs on the opposite side of the house, while I'm upstairs in the bedroom, with the door on and the humidifier acting as a white noise machine.
  • Children playing and laughing while Luke is sleeping in public.  Their happiness is so inconsiderate.
  • The sound that Jonathan's slippers make on the floor because he shuffles when he walks in them.
  • Flushing the toilet in the master bath when Luke is asleep in the bed.  "If it's yellow, let it mellow..." has become my mantra.
  • My cat has some sort of upper respiratory issue that causes him to have reverse-sneezing fits.  I've actually tossed his noisy ass into the hallway while he's coughing to spare the baby.  I have no remorse.
I could probably go on forever with these.  I'm surprised Meike is not afraid to talk near the baby at this point.

2 comments:

  1. lol what can i say? This post just makes me laugh. Very relatable stuff-especially the sound of dog nails on hardwood floors. That still drives me nuts when I'm trying to sleep.The anger as im sure you know will subside. Maybe not at the moment, but I really believe one day it will make you chukkle as well. Hang in there! -Marz

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a hoot! I miss you. Also, is Luke that light of a sleeper? I could play the tuba next to O when he was an infant and he wouldn't bat an eye. Maybe you and Luke could get matching earmuffs? hehe

    ReplyDelete