Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pregnancy Moment?

So I've been sitting here crying now for about twenty minutes, straight.  I'm not sure if it's a hormone mama thing or if it would have happened anyway.  I came across the following story and found it emotionally devastating.  It's about an 18mo with a really terrible disease/prognosis; she is no longer able to see or even smile:

http://healinganaya.blogspot.com/p/about-anaya.html
The link is to the page that explains about the child and family; the mom posts regular blogs as well.

I found the little things to be the most heartbreaking, like the mom talking about helping her daughter move her hand to touch her lips, after the little girl had been quivering with effort from trying to move her arms on her own.  Just writing that made me start crying again. 

I keep going upstairs, where Meike is napping in my bed, and just staring at her sweet sleeping face.  I had to come downstairs because I got to the point where I was afraid my crying would wake her.  This story makes me feel so grateful to have the beautiful healthy child that I do.  And then it makes me feel guilty for having her; I haven't done anything in my life to deserve such a blessing when there are mothers out there who are just happy to have their child not die today. 

Of course I know that there are tons of stories like these, not about this particular disease, but about sick children.  But there's something about reading this mother's daily struggle with actual live hourly updates is very powerful.  Even more moving is the grace she outwardly displays (I'm sure it's not so calm inside) in being thankful for every day that she has with her baby. 

In celebration of this little girl's 18-month birthday, here is an excerpt from what the mother wrote to her:

We love you sweetie. We're so glad you grace us with your presence. Stay as long as you need to. We will take care of you and help you in every way we can.

This makes me feel like a whiny selfish person for complaining about being tired because I'm 8 months pregnant and chasing Meike around.  It makes me treasure all the moments I have with her and really appreciate just how lucky I am. 

As I was laying down with Meike today to get her to take her nap, I actually had to reprimand her (i.e. threaten no pool time) to get her to stop kissing my tummy "for Baby Luke" (like 30 times) and lay down.  I certainly won't be doing that again; I'll soak up those kisses 'til the cows come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment